Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Baked Ricotta

I've been on a cooking spree lately (frozen protein drops, anyone?). And the funny thing about this is that it's not typical "me". One might argue this is a positive. Because typical "me" would pick up takeout on the way home, and eat out probably 80% of the time (be that eating while traveling internationally for work, the various "lunch meetings" that happen when I'm working in the office, or a whole host of work dinners). So, anyway, I'm taking this as a positive thing.

Like many, I'm a fan of The World According to Eggface. She's got some phenomenal food ideas. I'm a little more used to recipes that have no more than three or four ingredients, so I'm starting out slowly! Even more exciting, I'm learning to take the basis and make things my own - like in the case of my buffalo chicken bites this weekend. Even though I have a freezer full of bites, and more food than I can possibly eat this week, I'm indulging this side of me who wants to experiment with tasty food that meets my nutritional goals.

I've been eyeing the Baked Ricotta recipe from theworldaccordingtoeggface.com for some time. I finally decided my sleeve was ready to try it. And it met my less-than-stellar cooking needs of having a limited number of ingredients. It also seemed time to put my new mini-loaf pan to the test. So, off I went! The verdict? It was easy and yummy. Two key food qualities I look for in something I'm cooking myself.

I tried freezing a couple, just to see how they'd do. I haven't tried them yet, but I'll let you know. The day after I made them I was craving pizza, and so I decided to re-heat one in the oven with some low-fat turkey pepperoni I found at the grocery store, and a little more mozzerrella on top.

I followed the recipe from Eggface pretty much to the tee, other than using the mini-loaf pan (loving how it portions it out for me) and adding the turkey pepperoni when I had a bit of a craving. I loaded the ingredients into My Fitness Pal and it gave me perfect nutritional requirements to use by loaf. Try it! Trust me, you can do it. Later, gastricsleeve4me

Ricotta mix in the pan (Italian seasoning was key!)
Put the sauce on top!

Mmmmm...fresh out of the oven
Ready for eatin'
Time for leftovers!
Add a little turkey pepperoni and cheese and voila!
My Fitness Pal nutritional facts with my ingredients

6 comments:

  1. This is one that I am anxiously waiting to try. Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did they freeze well? They sound delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there anyway you can provide the link where I can purchase this mini loaf pan on Amazon? I ordered one only to receive it and it's so tiny. It only holds less than 1/4 c.

    ReplyDelete