Thursday, May 17, 2012

Pre-Op Diet (FAIL)

Well, I had the best of intentions. My Dr. had provided a pre-op diet for me since my BMI was over 40. I was meant to follow it the week before surgery. It was basically a low/no-carb, high-protein diet. And cutting the alcohol and caffeine. I knew that I might have some challenges since I was working out of town the week before, and I'm notoriously bad at planning my meals...which leaves me just eating what's available (which is always high-carb, high-fat, and high-sugar!). I did great for a few days. And then I got a cold. I was feeling quite miserable, and just got a little lazy. So, frankly, the pre-op diet sort of went out the window. I justified it by saying that my BMI had dropped below 40 in the weeks prior to surgery, so I didn't technically need to do it. I'm really, really hoping this isn't a sign of things to come. I mean, really, I couldn't go 7 DAYS without eating carbs? Eeek.

Now, in addition to the pre-op diet, my surgeon had about three or four other tips before surgery. Number two? Don't get sick. Dammit. I freaked out a little catching that cold. I thought about not telling the Dr. since I was afraid they might move or cancel it, but realized quickly that's just plain stupid to not tell them...this is my health we're talking about here. So, I wrote them an email and, thankfully, everything worked out. I recovered and they don't seem concerned. But it was a good reminder to STAY WELL in the week leading up to surgery. I'm pretty sure heading to the germ-center that is Chuck-E-Cheese for a kids birthday party wasn't the best decision I've ever made. Anyway, it all worked out in the end.

Well, I've got less than a week to go and I AM READY. Hope all is well in your world. Leave me some comments now and again...will let me know someone's reading! Best, gastricsleeve4me

No comments:

Post a Comment