Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Insurance

Wow. So, six weeks ago I was told by a bariatric surgeon that my insurance required a five-year weight history with an over-40 BMI (morbid obesity). I didn't have it. So I decided on surgery in Mexico. I researched the hell out of it, secured a date, paid my deposit, and have been planning (as this blog shows!) in earnest ever since. I'm due to have surgery in Mexico in under three weeks. But today, upon visiting a second surgeon, I was told that my insurance recently dropped the five-year requirement. Which means that I should qualify. Son of a bi*ch! Now, while it will save me $8000 (which is nothing to sneeze at!), I have to consider that:
  • I'd have to wait six months, since they require six monthly office visits with a nutritionist
  • the surgeon I visited has a lot less experience than my surgeon in mexico
  • because I don't think the surgeon I visited is the guy for me, I have to start looking for a well-qualified one that is also in my network...and that means more time
  • I do have to pay for 10% of the surgeon's fee, as well as the hospital (though this is likely to be under $2000)
  • going through insurance will mean less money
  • US doctors in my area seem to be more conservative about bougie size, which I believe may correlate to less weight loss (though recognize some studies that indicate a lower complication rate)
  • I believe my surgeon in Mexico is great and I'm confident that I will have a positive experience
It's a lot to think about. But it's not as clear-cut as you might think. I'm ready. There is no better time than now. Right now. Today. I'm fortunate enough that I can afford the surgery in Mexico. But is going forward with Mexico throwing away $8000? Oh boy. Want to hear more? Watch the video. Best, gastricsleeve4me



1 comment:

  1. I would like to thank Ultimate Life Clinic for reversing my father's Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). My father’s ALS condition was fast deteriorating before he started on the ALS Herbal medicine treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic. He was on the treatment for just 6 months and we never thought my father will recover so soon. He has gained some weight in the past months and he is able to walk with no support. You can reach them through there website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com

    ReplyDelete